Named America’s best boutique agency of 2022, Clyde Group is seeking an Account Director, Public Affairs, to join our growing, high energy, people-centric, public relations and communications agency. We’re a principles-driven firm disrupting “business as usual” in communications through creative strategy focused entirely on results-driven campaigns. Our work deals with exciting national-level issues, including healthcare, equity and inclusion, education, agriculture, financial services, technology, civil rights, and more. Clyde Group team members have an interest in, and enthusiasm for, the development of a rapidly evolving agency. We are unafraid of pushing each other and the norm. Our team is creative, ambitious, collaborative and we do it all with intentional dedication to every individual “being able to bring [their] whole self to work, safely”.
This position will be based out of the Washington DC office or can be remote/hybrid.
Our Account Director, Public Affairs, typically has 7-–10 years of communications experience on political campaigns, Capitol Hill, trade associations, etc., with experience leading projects, departments, and/or managing people. Directs client accounts. Supports shaping and executing strategies for our diverse Clyde Group portfolio. Directs account teams, designing and implementing creative strategies for key audiences (from consumers to opinion elites). Develops personal and professional relationships with clients. Serves as the direct supervisor for 1–3 team members. Has a strong understanding of relevant industry trends. Plays a critical role in shaping our firm and guiding the professional development of members on the team. Leads business development teams and individual efforts. Possesses knowledge of financial services policy and understands how best to communicate on these issues.
What you will be doing:
- Play a critical role on one or more client teams, building relationships with clients, serving as a go-to resource for clients, and providing political communications advice and direction to achieve client goals
- Work closely with client and internal teams to develop sophisticated and creative communications strategies—and be confident in shifting strategies to address emerging threats, proposed legislation, electoral outcomes, etc.
- Maintain personal relationships with clients
- Ensure client outcomes are being achieved
- Ensure all client deadlines are met and quality of work is high
- Collaborate with internal client delivery teams, including content, digital, and creative
- Oversee financial aspects of the client work, including SOW development, monthly reporting, monthly billing, client profitability, and team member utilization
- Confident standing up new client accounts, including developing the resources and tools needed to execute against SOW and achieve client goals
- Presenting clearly and persuasively to clients
- Direct business development process for potential clients
- Manage two or more direct reports and guiding their professional development
- Support Clyde Group initiatives, including agency visibility efforts, award submissions, DE&I programs, and professional development opportunities
- Adheres to firm’s policies and procedures
- Ensures direct reports are adhering to firm policies and procedures
- Seeks out external opportunities for personal visibility (contributed articles, speaking opportunities, etc.)
- Taps own network to find business development connections
- Avoids gossip and drama, and works respectfully with colleagues to resolve differences and maintain work relationships
- Makes recommendations to advance Clyde Group’s mission and vision
- Strong sense of EQ with internal team members and external clients and vendors
- Builds positive relationships with internal team members, across functions, and can inspire, lead, and motivate teams
- Fierce commitment to, and respect for, a diverse and inclusive workplace
- Presents comfortably to groups of any size
- Make clear assignments, team members understand direction
- Excellent writing skills; master of AP style
- Able to communicate around sensitive/challenging client issues
- See risks/threats before clients do, and can sensitively raise them to clients with proposed solutions
- Make recommendations on how to grow Clyde Group beyond client work
- 7-10 years of political communications experience; 2+ year of management experience
- Established media relationships with political beat reporters
- Desire to manage people, mentor junior team members, and lead teams
- Seeks and is receptive to constructive feedback
- Possesses excellent writing and grammar skills, including the ability to write concisely, clearly, and logically
- Can edit the work of junior team members and explain edits in a way that improves their skills
- Excellent multi-tasker
- Strong organizational skills and high attention to detail
- Comfortable with basic social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Comfortable with Microsoft and Google office products
- Comfortable learning and adopting new tech platforms
- Professional and mature demeanor in working with peers and more junior team members directly to solve problems, address issues, diffuse internal challenges
To apply, please submit your current resume and cover letter here.
About Clyde Group
Named America’s best boutique agency in 2022 by PRovoke, Clyde Group is a principles-driven strategic communications agency guided by a vision to be the best agency to work with and the best agency to work for. Based in Washington, DC with a presence in multiple other locations, Clyde Group offers communications and public affairs services to major corporations, nonprofits, advocacy organizations, and trade associations, among others. With a mission to create and connect to move the world forward, Clyde Group is driven by strategy, creativity, and experience, bringing ambitious ideas, creative solutions, and an authentic personality to every task.